Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A FY, a forgotten FY, and a yarn sample gone awry

Here is the first finished (nearly dry) skein of Cameo. This is a roughly 50/50 Merino/Soysilk blend I carded on dog combs. This was spun on my Bosworth Featherweight and chain-plied on my Annie May; the WPI is 16 and the yardage is a mere 58. I do have another full bobbin to chain-ply and quite a bit more of this to blend and spin up.


A close-up:


I can't believe I forgot to blog this skein as it is my all-time favorite!!!!! This is a 1 oz. 2-ply of the Abalone bombyx silk hankies I got from Woodland Woolworks. This fiber was finished being spun up and plied on my Bosworth the day after I got it in the mail and I'm so over-the-moon about it that I can't believe I didn't blog it! Anyways this is approx. 16 WPI and 98 yrds. I think silk hankies are so wonderful to spin, so gorgeous, and fun to turn into roving too!!


A close-up:


And just for gits and shiggles here is the sample 2-ply of pure Soysilk that I spun on my Bosworth Lightweight before deciding to blend it to make drafting easier.



And a close-up:


I've soaked both the pue Soysilk and the Soysilk blend in a hot water bath to set the twist the way I normally set my skeins and the Soysilk smells terrible wet, like burnt tofu!!! Does anyone steam theirs or set it a different way? I can deal with the smell, but I was just wondering. I actually love the smell of wool, especially the smell of drying finished skeins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment