Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Farm to Table Week 3, Hand Dyed SW Merino Singles

Farm to Table


This week's CSA allotment was huge! Zucchini, broccoli, scallions, beets, chard, lettuce, peas and my absolute favorite fruit- Rainer cherries!


We are really enjoying the chard and beet greens and I thought I'd share my sautéed chard recipe. This also works great with beet greens (or any greens I'm sure).



Sautéed Chard

De-rib generous bunch of chard.
Chob rib into 1" pieces.
Cut chard leaves into 1/2" ribbons.
Heat 1/2 tbsp. butter in sauté pan.
Lightly sauté 2 tbsp. diced onions or scallions.
Add chard ribs & cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add chard leaves and another 1/2 tbsp. more butter.
Add dash of sherry & lemon juice.
Sauté until leaves are wilted but still bright in color.
Add a large clove of minced garlic, salt & pepper to taste.
Cook very briefly & remove from heat.
Optional: Add tbsp. or two dijon mustard to sauce.

Adjust the sauce ingredient amounts to your taste. This is just an estimate as I usually eyeball it and taste and I go.

Spinning

I just finished spinning up 4 oz. of superwash merino that I hand painted. I'm making this into a 2-ply and it should turn out to be a heavy fingering weight. I really had to pack my bobbin full to get all the singles on one and it created a bit of a mess when I wound it off into a center pull ball for plying.



In the end I was able to get it untangled and wound just fine. I think I need to look into getting a jumbo flyer and large bobbins though.

No comments:

Post a Comment